Dream big, they say. I dream massive. It doesn’t work.
But it seems to have worked for all 54 of the ‘unusual’ entrepreneurs, as the latest issue of India Today calls them. From humble beginnings to colossal todays, they have surely come many a furlong. With cliché success mantras to boring tribulations, they have all it takes to be featured in the magazine. But maybe there’s more to them than meets the eye. Maybe I’m being too presumptuous by dismissing these triumphant entrepreneurs by a mere flip of the page. Maybe there is a certain deep-seated go-getter attitude which is vital to that success mantra that I just don’t see. Maybe they do have more to their credentials than a glorious heritage or some fancy degrees from formula management schools. Maybe.
I think my unenthusiastic reaction stems more from my lack of self-confidence to be able to pull off something of that magnitude, than from being blasé about these over-achievers achievements. And more so these days when I have begun questioning my ability to do everything and anything. Everything I do feels like there is something much better out there, something I’m more cut out for. But that ‘something’ is as bizarre as a UFO sighting in Mozambique.
It’s a tough task, this. Identifying where your heart lies, what gives you that adrenalin boost, and going after it. I agree, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack, considering the kind of skill set I possess, but I think my calling will come calling…real soon. And once it does, no matter how odd the idea, it will sure be worth a shot. After all, even the justdial.com Managing Director who’s currently responsible for a turnover of over a 100 crore floated the preposterous idea of having a telephone directory business. I’m sure the people who scoffed at the idea earlier wouldn’t be as pleased anymore. And I’m pretty sure that he who carried forward the brilliantly simple idea, must be having the last chuckle.
It’s just a matter of time then, that the idea will hit me when I least expect it to. For me to hold and cherish, dream and pursue, hone and nurture, till death do us part. Amen!
But it seems to have worked for all 54 of the ‘unusual’ entrepreneurs, as the latest issue of India Today calls them. From humble beginnings to colossal todays, they have surely come many a furlong. With cliché success mantras to boring tribulations, they have all it takes to be featured in the magazine. But maybe there’s more to them than meets the eye. Maybe I’m being too presumptuous by dismissing these triumphant entrepreneurs by a mere flip of the page. Maybe there is a certain deep-seated go-getter attitude which is vital to that success mantra that I just don’t see. Maybe they do have more to their credentials than a glorious heritage or some fancy degrees from formula management schools. Maybe.
I think my unenthusiastic reaction stems more from my lack of self-confidence to be able to pull off something of that magnitude, than from being blasé about these over-achievers achievements. And more so these days when I have begun questioning my ability to do everything and anything. Everything I do feels like there is something much better out there, something I’m more cut out for. But that ‘something’ is as bizarre as a UFO sighting in Mozambique.
It’s a tough task, this. Identifying where your heart lies, what gives you that adrenalin boost, and going after it. I agree, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack, considering the kind of skill set I possess, but I think my calling will come calling…real soon. And once it does, no matter how odd the idea, it will sure be worth a shot. After all, even the justdial.com Managing Director who’s currently responsible for a turnover of over a 100 crore floated the preposterous idea of having a telephone directory business. I’m sure the people who scoffed at the idea earlier wouldn’t be as pleased anymore. And I’m pretty sure that he who carried forward the brilliantly simple idea, must be having the last chuckle.
It’s just a matter of time then, that the idea will hit me when I least expect it to. For me to hold and cherish, dream and pursue, hone and nurture, till death do us part. Amen!

Hey! Aren't you confusing 'success' with 'being content in doing what one ought to'? What you read in that short-list of 'successful people who backed themselves' are accomplishments that are being celebrated by a section of society (and perhaps by these folks...themselves!). This list need not necessarily convert as it is in to a list of people who have found 'contentment' or 'happiness'. Success is relative and is measured by the parameters set by the beholder. Happiness, joy and contentment are more internal, individualistic and spiritual. So stop chasing success as others define it but seek joy and as you'd like it ('joy')to be. If in the process you get to identify what your 'calling' is - treat it as a bonus!
ReplyDelete